Even though Christmas is just a week away, there’s still plenty of time to enjoy the holiday festivities around Houston. Here are 10 of our favorite things to do in the area this time of year (be sure to check out Visit Houston for even more ideas):
- Go see “A Christmas Carol” – This classic returns to the Alley Theater and runs through December 30th. Bring the whole family as you take in the journey of Ebenezer Scrooge.
- Check out “The Nutcracker” – Christmas season and The Nutcracker go hand in hand. Before you buy tickets, however, be aware that showings will be held at The Smart Financial Center in Sugar Land and The Hobby Center For The Performing Arts in downtown Houston.
- Attend the Festival of Lights – Moody Gardens hosts the Gulf Coast’s largest holiday lighting event. You and your loved ones will be amazed by the mile-long trail of more than a million lights and 100 sound-enhanced animated displays sparkling over the Galveston Bay. In addition to the lights, be sure to check out the 100-foot slide and ice skating rink. The Festival of Lights ends January 7th.
- Plan an evening at Zoo Lights – This time of year, The Houston Zoo transforms into a winter wonderland filled with colorful lights and holiday music. Whether you’re on a date or enjoying time with the whole family, Zoo Lights is certain to create memories for years to come. The life-size animated animal sculptures are a nice touch, too. Zoo Lights ends January 14th, so get there soon!
- Take in Magical Winter Lights – This 52-day festival is the largest holiday light festival in Houston and the largest lantern festival to ever take place in the U.S. Magical Winter Lights takes place at Gulf Greyhound Park through January 2nd.
- Let the kids have milk and cookies with Santa – This event is undoubtedly a family favorite Christmas Eve. The Children’s Museum of Houston puts on an evening full of fun and events with Santa before he makes his trek around the world!
- Explore Christmas Village at Bayou Bend – Ima Hogg’s former home features plenty of holiday decorations, sparkling lights, animated projections, and performances. Get there before it ends January 6th.
- Go ice skating – Now through January 21st, skate among the downtown skyline at Discovery Green’s outdoor ice skating rink. There’s even regular entertainment such as concerts and movies, so you can make an entire evening out of it.
- Check out Christmas in the Park at George Ranch – Now through December 23rd, George Ranch Historical Park revisits holiday traditions in Texas that evolved over the last 100 years. There’s even treehouse storytime with Santa and cattle demonstrations.
- Have breakfast with Santa – Christmas Eve morning is the last chance your child can have Sunday breakfast with Santa! Be sure to check out Hilton Americas for more information.
Holiday Help From Our Charter Bus
Whether you’re planning a romantic date night or a fun-filled evening with the entire family, Merlo’s Charters can help get you there safely and on time. Customers can take their pick from a variety of fleet options. Since 1999, Houston has relied on us for event transportation, luxury transportation, and executive transportation. Merlo’s even serves as an airport shuttle upon request.
Here at Merlo’s, we want to wish you the happiest of holiday seasons. Call now to book a charter bus for your next event.